My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://www.bookitorcookit.co.uk/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

My philosophy

This blog is dedicated to my love of eating, cooking, writing and reading about food. In it you'll find recipes, book reviews, restaurant reviews and various other food related bits and pieces.

Wednesday 18 November 2009

Blog of the month...

Well, I don't know about you, but I'm sick of food snobbery, elitist attitudes taken to food, people criticised for not knowing what a roux is...... Sometimes you just wanna say 'shut up' and run away to quickly look up the definition, simply to fit in.

Anyway, to hell with that. I love food. I'm learning all I can about it. My likes, my dislikes, my strengths and my weaknesses. My style- which I like to think is rather humorous, and is reflected in this months chosen blog of the month, simply for the irony....

Suicide Food sees the lighter side of life and indeed, death. Using advertising campaigns where animals are seen to "celebrate their own demise" offering themselves in the form of pigs, cows and other barnyard favourites, barbecuing their own flesh and feeding it to the wolves.

This site reminds me of a book I read as a child: A Trip to Lazibonia, in this book cows and pigs walk around with carving knives and forks lodged in their backs, eager for you to slice off a succulent loin, or steak. Chickens in this land simply fly straight into your mouth to save you the trouble of cooking and killing them... This is anthropomorphism gone wild!

As much as I love reminiscing, lets get back on track. Suicide Food's best bits are: the noose rating and classification system- which rates pictures, signs, menus and posters on their levels of how disturbing they actually are.

My particular favourite has to be the Green Cow Green Beef Tripe, which blogger Ben describes as, looking sedated or drugged, powerless to the dogs which will undoubtedly consume its bovine innards- ewww! This one only got two nooses though, which rates as simply, appalling (see psych evaluations on page). If a spaced out cow on a tin of dog food seems happy to advertise its own offal for consumption, then how could these ratings get any worse?

This take on food, with a humorously and disturbing tone really lightens the somewhat stuffy, pretentious vibes which I often get when visiting restaurants and reading blogs. People seem blind to the ridiculous emblems which they see fit to promote their BBQ menus or cook-offs! Sheesh! Why bring the animals into it? Sick!


No comments:

Post a Comment