My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://www.bookitorcookit.co.uk/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

My philosophy

This blog is dedicated to my love of eating, cooking, writing and reading about food. In it you'll find recipes, book reviews, restaurant reviews and various other food related bits and pieces.

Thursday 29 July 2010

Inspiration or Inception?

Today was my day off and apart from having a driving lesson, I didn't have much planned. I knew I wanted to write something, but was a bit stuck for ideas, so instead spent a good deal of time looking at the colourful houses of Totterdown and daydreaming....

(Image sourced from BBC)

Feeling disappointed at my lack lustre approach to the day and with grey skies threatening to rain, I thought "To heck with it!" and had a nap......
But instead of this well and truly putting a stop to my creativity, I dreamt of beautiful poetry being read to the sound of violins and cellos, fields of lavender perfumed my dream, and I could still smell them when I woke up.

Then it came to me, one line of poetry (not lavendar related).... and here are the results:


I dream of runner beans
Creeping up canes
In shades of green
Boasting red flowers and bursting pods

Twisted vines, strangling wooden rods

I dream of snapping stems
Creeping up canes And snatching them
A stolen salad in a bowl
Topped and tailed, blanching whole


I awoke to smelling salt
Bubbling water
And hunger pangs
A tender side, with a glass of wine
A meal thought out with a dream in mind


Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but I think I might be on to something here with the old food/poetry malarkey. Poetry was something I'd always envisaged myself doing full-time and I think after doing this food writing course, I'm having something of a Renaissance period.... we'll see!


1 comment:

  1. I like it Holly, never been much good at poetry myself but it seems you have talent in this direction too!! Keep dreaming...& writing! happy weekend xo Rachel

    ReplyDelete