My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://www.bookitorcookit.co.uk/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

My philosophy

This blog is dedicated to my love of eating, cooking, writing and reading about food. In it you'll find recipes, book reviews, restaurant reviews and various other food related bits and pieces.

Saturday 12 September 2009

My version of a simple supper... Spaghetti Carbonara

I'm sure as an avid follower of my blog, you'll have read my review of Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers...

Now, I didn't completely write it off, but instead, took inspiration from it, devising my own version of a classic dish Carbonara (please note that I work in a deli and kind of planned to have this dish in advance, hence the lavish ingredients!): Remember, this ISN'T a recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take some onion and garlic, fry it in a little olive oil until golden. Add sliced mushrooms, continue to cook until golden. Add some double cream and a splash of sherry, allow to bubble. Reduce the heat. Add some spaghetti to a pan of salted water. Add some shredded Serrano ham, grated Parmesan, sun dried tomato, seasonings and a few drops of Truffle oil to the mushroom mix. Drain the pasta and mingle with the sauce. Crumble over some goat's cheese and cracked black pepper.

In true Slater-style, this dish is completely adaptable and can be made with bacon, ham, pancetta, mascarpone and many other contrasting flavours. This dish was very rich and creamy, real comfort eating and by my standards, this IS a recipe.

So what are you talking about Mr Slater? You've made me look like a hypocrite! Any form of instruction when it comes to food is a recipe, not my words, but the Oxford English Dictionary's (and who can argue with that?)-

"a list of ingredients and instructions for preparing a dish. something likely to lead to a particular outcome: a recipe for disaster.

— ORIGIN Latin, ‘receive!’ (originally used as an instruction in medical prescriptions)."



No comments:

Post a Comment