My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://www.bookitorcookit.co.uk/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

My philosophy

This blog is dedicated to my love of eating, cooking, writing and reading about food. In it you'll find recipes, book reviews, restaurant reviews and various other food related bits and pieces.

Wednesday 9 September 2009

Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers, BBC1, 7.30pm

Nigel Slater's latest series kicked off this evening with an informative programme entitled: Making it up isn't making do. In it, he insists that you don't need to follow recipes or rules, yet he instructs us to use certain ingredients, but encourages adapting these 'recipes'.

In my eyes, Slater is easily the most inoffensive cook on TV (he doesn't even call himself a chef!), familiarising himself with the audience by recounting his quirky tales of the endless battle between himself and his mischievous garden critters... He even visits an allotment where a seemingly normal couple (I say seemingly because not only does the guy not like vegetables, he also has a really peculiar mullet) grown their own veg. He promptly rustles up a medley of vegetables which they gratifyingly wolf down (thus converting mullet man)- not really an inspiring dish.

The ongoing meals Slater suggests are supposedly a weeks worth of grub- providing you've got your own vegetable patch/allotment and an endless supply of Parma Ham and Parmesan. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed
Simple Suppers, I just wish it wasn't so preachy about 'grow your own.'

Something else that didn't sit well with me was the soundtrack. It doesn't really fit Slater's persona. He's more of a romantic, savouring flavour and memory together, none of which I think fit the criteria of the warblings Duffy!

Slater goes on to meet renowned garlic farmer, Colin Boswell, of the Isle of Wight (who I actually met at the Harrogate Speciality Food show earlier in the year). This is a man who's passion for all things garlic, knows no bounds. So suffice to say, I think he would've been a little disappointed at Slater's offering of Goats Cheese on Garlic Toast!

Do I think I'll be watching the show next week? Surprisingly- yes! As next week's programme is all about using up leftovers. So as long as it doesn't involve using any scraps of Foie Gras or black Truffle I might just have knocking about, then I'm in!




2 comments:

  1. I also am a great fan of Nigel...I've watched all his shows and am watching the newest one, wich by the way, I find the most adoring of all! I want to live in his house and walk& pick his garden goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the simplicity and ease in which he carries out his recipes! Is there going to be a "Simple Suppers" book please? It would make a great xmas pressie and I would defo get one for my hubby!

    ReplyDelete