My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://www.bookitorcookit.co.uk/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

My philosophy

This blog is dedicated to my love of eating, cooking, writing and reading about food. In it you'll find recipes, book reviews, restaurant reviews and various other food related bits and pieces.

Thursday 29 October 2009

A Cornish Culinary Adventure- Part 2

After a great nights sleep, the promise of a shopping trip to Truro prepared me for the day ahead. I met with an old friend, and we convened for lunch in Fodders, Truro.

Located above the city's Pannier Market, there's a little trek up a windy metal staircase, so by the time you reach the front door, you've worked up quite the appetite!

Renowned locally for their extensive vegetarian, vegan wholefood and gluten free options, Fodders tick all the boxes when it comes to local produce, variety and price.

Laid out in a casual canteen style, the unassuming decor plays host to a wide selection of in-house specials- including the white, fluffy whipped mound of meringue, piled high on a dense lemon curd and biscuit base on their dessert counter! But needs must- I needed some lunch, not a sweet fix...

I'm an indecisive person at heart. But since moving away from Cornwall, I always find myself longing for fresh shellfish and seafood... So on that note, I was unable to resist the crab sandwich on the specials board.

After a tedious wait, my modest meal arrived, with a meager offering of leaf salad on the side. As expected, my meal was slightly more expensive than the other dishes on offer, but the fresh Newlyn crab was a wonderful shade of pink, with that fresh, unmistakable taste of the ocean.

The complex fibres of the crustacean came unaccompanied by any sauce or dressing, a simple seasoning and a squeeze of lemon was enough to complement the filling of a seemingly dull looking, but vibrantly flavorsome sandwich.

So my advice- no need to book it- it's a walk in walk out kinda place. But definitely go there- especially if you're sick of the sight of pasties!


No comments:

Post a Comment