My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://www.bookitorcookit.co.uk/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

My philosophy

This blog is dedicated to my love of eating, cooking, writing and reading about food. In it you'll find recipes, book reviews, restaurant reviews and various other food related bits and pieces.

Sunday 4 October 2009

The Stables Pub & Eatery

After many enquiries as to where to get a decent Sunday roast, I followed the advice of two fellow foodies, and chose to venture to The Stables Pub & Eatery, in Garston Village.

Not your usual trip down the road to your local pub for a run of the mill meal, this expedition required special forward planning, as I was advised to book a table, and a taxi...

Neatly tucked away between shops and bookies, The Stables is unassuming from the outside, but houses a clean, classy interior. The staff are friendly, but not overbearing, much like the laid back live music being strummed by the duo in the corner.

Luckily there weren't too many choices to be made as far as the Sunday set menu was concerned, a simple choice between soup of the day, ham hock terrine and some asparagus dish with a poached egg on top.

I obviously went for the terrine- which came with home made piccalilli (not really a great fan of this usually, but this wasn't a bad effort at all- not too vinegary, which is good) and warm bread. After cleansing my palate with a swill of the house red, I awaited my roast chicken.

Although is breaks with tradition, I was disappointed that my meal was served without a Yorkshire pudding (or a sauce of any description, apart from the gravy). My co-diners both ordered the beef and had a golden fluffy pud, perched on the side of their plates brimming with gravy.

My mother was kind enough (as she's allergic to gluten) to donate her Yorkie to my worthy cause.
The crisp skin of the chicken softened slightly with the rich, meaty gravy and contrasted well with the al dente vegetables- courgette, green beans and carrot. The roast potatoes and parsnips weren't the best I've ever had, but to me, the meat was the star of the show anyway!

After struggling to finish this rich meal, I reached the difficult decision not to have a dessert- very unusual for me. The first time, in a long time that I've been defeated by a meal! So my advice- book it! It's reasonably priced at £13.95 for two courses and quite a family friendly place on a Sunday afternoon, so beware of small children running underfoot!


No comments:

Post a Comment