My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://www.bookitorcookit.co.uk/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

My philosophy

This blog is dedicated to my love of eating, cooking, writing and reading about food. In it you'll find recipes, book reviews, restaurant reviews and various other food related bits and pieces.

Tuesday 18 August 2009

Bistro Franc- 16th August

You know what they say; "better late than never"... well I visited Bistro Franc on Sunday and have only just got round to doing the review today- oops!

Bistro Franc is the third addition to the expanding family of French restaurants in Liverpool City Centre. With the same laid back French vibe seen in Bistro Jacques and Bistro Pierre
Bis
tro Franc holds its own, with it's quirky charms and make-shift wine bottle candle holders.
It was on a whim that my partner, my friend and I decided to go to this restaurant, as it had reached the crucial point in our evening out when we would either continue the festivities, or simply go home early.
We knew the outstanding reputation that the locally established duo of French Bistro's held, and were amazed at the incredible Sunday dining deal- 2 Courses plus a bottle of wine per person for only £13.95!- definitely a deal we wanted to take advantage of.
We started with a bottle of house red and perused the menu, so many dishes took my fancy and I reached the crucial decision of having a starter, rather than a pudding (usually unheard of for me!)
I chose the Wood Pigeon and Beetroot Salad, with Hazelnut Oil dressed Salad, as I'd never tried pigeon before. The nutty notes from the slightly overdone bird, complemented the hazelnut oil, as the acidity from the beetroot cut through the richness of the dark, gamy meat. I thoroughly enjoyed
my starter, although it was over in a bite or two!
For our main course, we all liked the look of the Fillet of Beef (which we payed a supplement for) and enquired with our attentive waitress, as to how they cooked the steak i.e was the steak English medium-rare, or French medium-rare. Upon her advice, I decided to have my steaks rare.
And when those three plates of sizzling steaks arrived, we simply couldn't wait for their accompanying vegetables. One bite of this melt-in-the mouth steak was enough to know that this was a fantastic choice of restaurant.
Served in a brandy, pate and mushroom cream sauce, on a crouton, to say this was cooked to perfection would be very cliche, but indeed, it was. The gratin dauphinoise, was garlicky and creamy, the cabbage rich and flavoured with red wine, and the al dente mangetout and carrots
complemented the meal as a light side.
Every mouthful of this meal was a sheer pleasure to eat, as we washed down the final mouthfuls with more wine. Regrettably, I had to pass on the final morsels to my fellow diners, as I couldn't finish it and wouldn't hear of one scrap being wasted!
On a separate note, my partner opted for the cheese board instead of his started and was severely disappointed in what he received- not a Brie de Meaux or indeed any French cheese in sight. So my advice, stick to the desserts- or sort your cheeseboard out!
My overall verdict- BOOK IT!

Bistro Franc
Church House
Hanover Street
Liverpool
L1 3DW
0151 708 9993

No comments:

Post a Comment