My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://www.bookitorcookit.co.uk/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

My philosophy

This blog is dedicated to my love of eating, cooking, writing and reading about food. In it you'll find recipes, book reviews, restaurant reviews and various other food related bits and pieces.

Wednesday 12 August 2009

Saleems's Sweet Centre & Restaurant- 11th August

Saleem's restaurant was established in 1971 (making it one of the oldest Balti restaurants in the area), and is nestled amongst Birmingham's famous Balti Triangle. After surviving the tornado that hit Birmingham back in 2005, Saleem's re-opened its doors in December 05, displaying a modest refurbishment, with their resounding reputation still in-tact.

As we passed by, I couldn't help but gaze in wonder at the window crammed full of various pastel coloured sweets, each one hand crafted in shades of pistachio, orange and rose. Having a prominent sweet tooth, I knew I'd be taking some of these exotic candies home with me.

After being seated, we were presented with individual dishes of sliced onion in chili sauce, which my ravenous partner quickly devoured. Not being a fan of raw onion, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this offering. We then continued with poppadoms with more chili sauce and raita, which I swept up the remaining onion with. The vegetable Pakoras were a delight, the crispiest I'd ever eaten!

Since this was my first experience with a Birmingham Balti, I asked my native guides for a bit of background on the food, and the way it should be eaten. I was told that bread was the way to go, but we decided to have rice on the side as well. Although the service was a little slow, I think we all appreciated the prolonged gap between the starters and the main course- a chance to breathe!

I opted for the Balti Chicken Mix which contained Dall, spinach and mixed vegetables. I also shared some Pilau Rice and Saleem's Special Nan (which I can honestly say, was the nicest nan bread I've ever eaten!)
I asked for my Balti with a medium heat, and it certainly delivered. Packed full of tender meat, colourful vegetables and spices, I thoroughly enjoyed my meal but found myself full a lot quicker than I'd anticipated! (Must have been all that bread!) The rice was lovely and fluffy with a bit of bite to it- just the way I like it, and the nan... let me paint you a picture- imagine a soft, fluffy flat bread cooked in Ghee, so it's got that lovely rich, buttery flavour, with caramelised almonds and coconut, creating a light syrupy topping- divine.

To finish I simply had to try the authentic Indian desserts, (that weren't Kulfi!) We managed to make some room in our already full stomachs, and shared a portion of Rasmalai- which consisted of paneer, soaked in the Southern Asian version of Clotted Cream with Pistachios. And although they were a good palate cleanser after the curry, I didn't make that much of them. The Gulab Jamun however, remains a firm favourite of mine. These sweet succulent balls, made of double cream and flour were served in a sticky syrup flavoured with saffron. Although my fellow diners insisted they were too sweet- I rather liked them!

After having our fill, we left our table of empty Balti dishes, bowls and baskets and went to pay the bill. Remembering to ask about the sweets in the window, I had a conversation with the manager and he cut me off some rather big chunks of the different fudge-like sweets. Luckily one of my party popped their head round the door, and I was able to share these samples, otherwise, I think I might of exploded! Leaving the restaurant with a bag full of goodies, and an insight into the tradition that is, the Birmingham Balti, I can certainly say that I'll be back for more!
So my verdict is BOOK IT!, let them do the washing up!


1 comment:

  1. Good stuff, its a well known fact that the national dish is now Tikka Masala. Strangely I find myself wanting to argue the point and insist its the sunday roast, but I find that Im actually eating a curry at the time so I shut up.

    Anyway, nice blog, think Ill follow! OOO request! Can you find out the origins of the famous Liverpudlian Scouse? My Norwegian girlfriend here insists it comes from their Lapscouse.

    Anyway, keep up the good work!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete