My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://www.bookitorcookit.co.uk/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

My philosophy

This blog is dedicated to my love of eating, cooking, writing and reading about food. In it you'll find recipes, book reviews, restaurant reviews and various other food related bits and pieces.

Monday 31 August 2009

And to finish....

Now I don't know about you, but I'm one of those people who can't resist a good bargain- in principle. If I'm in the supermarket and I see something on the reduced counter that I can see some vague use for, then generally, I'll buy it (and deal with the consequences later).
As we all know, these are difficult times, and all over the world people struggle to survive on what little food they have. Yet according to www.lovefoodhatewaste.com we throw away over 6.7 million tonnes of food, every year- most of which, could have been eaten!

I'm a firm believer in taking responsibility for my own actions. For example, I bought a punnet of peaches at a re
duced price last week. I had to throw two away because they went mouldy, but I chose to economise, rather than waste by salvaging what I could and turning them into something tasty; my Peach and Apple-Berry Crumble.

Peach and Apple-Berry Crumble
For the Filling:
5x Ripe Peaches (peeled, stoned and cut into 1/4s)
2x Apples (peeled, cored and cut into chunks. I used Granny Smiths as they were in the fruit bowl)
A splash of Lemon juice
100g Mixed, frozen berries
50g Brown Sugar

1 Tablespoon of Plain Flour
A good pinch of Ground Cinnamon

For the Topping:
300g Plain Flour
200g Brown sugar
200g Butter (plus extra for greasing)

1. Preheat the oven to 180C or Gas mark 4.
2. Place the Flour and Sugar in a large bowl and combine. Gradually rub in the Butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Place the fruit in a large bowl and with the Sugar, Flour, Lemon juice and Cinnamon. Stir well until the fruit is coated.
3. Butter a large ovenproof dish. Place the fruit mixture into the bottom, and sprinkle on the crumble topping.
4. Bake in the oven for roughly 40 minutes until the crumble is lightly browned and the fruit mixture is bubbling.
5. Serve with custard/ice cream or a good dollop of Clotted cream!

Serves 6

No comments:

Post a Comment